← Insights·Leadership

Decision Rights: Name the Decider Before the Next Analysis

Give someone responsibility for the call, including whether more information is worth the wait.

By Ken Gavranovic · October 29, 2026

The pricing decision is back on the agenda. Same options, same disagreement, another request for analysis.

Before you approve the work, ask who is allowed to choose. If the answer is unclear, settle that now. You can investigate a real uncertainty without leaving the authority question open too.

I've already named repeated analysis as a warning sign in my leadership team coaching guide, and my planning offsite agenda puts decision rights ahead of the decision. The next step is to give that owner a way to judge whether another information request earns another week.

Missing authority and missing information can exist together. Naming a decider doesn't prove the evidence is sufficient. It makes someone responsible for judging what is still worth learning, then choosing within the authority you've given them.

Give the owner a decision they can make

I'd try a short review on one stuck call. Put four entries at the top of the existing decision note before the next options debate. This is a proposed meeting practice, not a validated diagnostic.

The choice and the name. Write the choice precisely and name the person who can make it. Naming sales and finance doesn't settle who chooses when they disagree. Choose someone equipped to make the call, and give them access to the information and people it requires.

In a hypothetical pricing case, you might give the revenue leader authority to set prices for new contracts next month, with finance supplying the economics. That's narrower than authority to rewrite every customer agreement.

Make any required approval explicit. If the board must approve, the executive owns the recommendation, not the final decision. Naming a decider cannot waive that approval.

The criteria. Agree what the choice should accomplish before people defend their preferred option. Two or three criteria are a useful starting point, not a quota. For pricing, they might be contribution margin after concessions, likely effect on new sales and ease of implementation.

If the team is fighting over which outcome matters most, settle that priority or explicitly delegate the tradeoff. Don't ask an analyst to settle it through another forecast.

The limits. Specify the financial exposure, customer commitments and other risks the owner can accept without coming back to you. In the pricing example, existing contracts could remain out of scope and an agreed margin floor could require escalation. Make the boundary usable: people should know which choices they can make and which require approval.

The date. Book when the owner will communicate the decision, and to whom. Make clear whether that audience is receiving the decision or approving it. Otherwise you may have scheduled another round of debate.

Set an end to information gathering and a separate limit for deliberation. Leave enough time between them for people to read and compare the options. A material late finding can change the schedule, but the owner should record why and set a new date.

Choose the pace according to the consequences. A small, easily reversed change doesn't need the same preparation as an acquisition or a senior hire. Some questions deserve to stay open while assumptions are tested and affected people are heard. A deadline should force an explicit decision about waiting, not a reckless commitment.

What would the next analysis change?

When the next request arrives, ask the person requesting it to name the uncertainty and explain how plausible answers would affect the choice. The answer might change an option, reveal a risk or expose a flaw in the criteria.

For the pricing call, checking contractual restrictions could rule out an option. Another competitor-pricing deck may add little if neither a higher nor a lower competitor price would change what you do.

Then ask what it will take to find out. A relevant fact isn't automatically worth a month of delay. Consider the cost of obtaining it, the cost of waiting and the consequence of deciding without it. Required legal or safety checks still apply.

A vague answer is a prompt to investigate, not proof that ownership is missing or someone is avoiding the call. The person may see a problem they can't yet frame, or lack the expertise to specify the research. Help make the concern concrete. If the request still offers no plausible way to change the decision, the owner can decline it and state the uncertainty they're accepting.

If the call still won't close

Once authority and information needs are clear, look at what else is stopping the owner. Do they have the capacity the decision needs? Are they waiting on a real dependency? A name on a document doesn't supply expertise or time.

There can also be a personal cost. Ending a project you championed can be uncomfortable even when the economics are clear. If the owner understands the tradeoff but keeps postponing commitment, ask privately what consequence they're reluctant to face. More research can postpone that conversation without improving the decision.

Check authority before you mistake unclear permission for a lack of nerve. But don't turn every remaining delay into a courage problem.

Fix the expensive stall

For the next case, look beyond the meeting that irritated you. Review recent stalls with the people involved and note three costs: work held up, avoidable escalations and senior time spent. Separate necessary approval from repeated escalation caused by unclear authority. Your calendar can show the hours; it won't show all the customer work waiting behind them.

Use rough estimates and label what you don't know. Then fix the most expensive authority gap, not the most annoying one.

You still own company priorities, the limits of delegation and the support the owner needs. If you've delegated the call, don't turn its announcement into an unplanned approval round.

And don't confuse a decision that holds with one that can never be revisited. New evidence, a faulty assumption or an execution constraint may justify reopening it. Ask what changed before treating a reopened decision as an ownership failure.

At the next pricing review, you should be able to leave with a choice, an escalation to the actual approver, or a specific information need with an owner and a return date. Another analysis is a legitimate next step. An analysis with nobody authorized to act on it is not.

Need the room to end in decisions?

See how I facilitate executive offsites.

Keep reading

Work with KenMore insights